Friday, September 27, 2013

Up Close an Personal

This was my first try at large sketch of a tiger. At first I thought that it was going to look good and it could have been my final project but as I took a better look at it, I realized that it was not proportional and I realized that I really didn't like the sketch at all. I new I was going to have to make another one.





 This piece came out better than the first. There is more detail and time into the picture, but I still did not like the look of it. The tiger looked awkward, not the scary "up close and personal" feeling that I was going for.




This, my final project, came out just as I was envisioning. I got the rich color to attract the looker's attention to the eyes and teeth and the color fades out from the middle. The tiger looks intimidating which is what I was going for. I used emphasis to bring out the eyes and the teeth of the tiger which can be the most scary part of a big cat like this. I added claws to either side of the tiger to add a little filler and detail, which was a big risk. It was not part of my original plan but I decided to do it to give a scarier, "in your face" feel, and I believed that it worked out.  Overall, I believed I conveyed the Up Close and Personal idea and I effectively used emphasis in my picture.



This project's theme was Up Close and Personal.When I started brainstorming on what I might like to do I was thinking of something scary and seeming to come out off the page. I instantly thought of big cats and I thought that the most interesting cat in color would be a tiger.
To create the main idea of this project, emphasis, I really wanted to emphasize the most intimidating part of the animal, which instantly made me think of eyes and teeth. I made the eyes a really rich color and that made them stand out. I also worked on whitening the teeth to help them stand out. Making the color richer on the nose and fading the intensity as I went farther away from the focal points allowed the eyes and teeth to stand out as well.
I decided to use colored pencils as my medium because I knew that I wanted to get a very rich looking finish and I wanted to blend colors. Using colored pencils also made it easy to fade the colors out as I could put layers on top of layers for the richer places and only one or two in the less intense places.
I would say that I took any large risks in this piece. I had never used colored pencils in a large piece like this before, but I did have past experiences with them. I'd say that the biggest risk that I took was putting in the paws and claws of the tiger. I knew I had too much empty space and needed some sort of interesting filler on either side of my tiger. I did not know how the paws would come out, but overall I was happy with them.
I believe that of the five main aspects of art, I used mainly three; emotion, concept, and medium. I evoked emotion by giving the "in your face" feel and making the tiger look angry. The concept was planned out well and helped give the piece emotion as well as a good scheme. The medium was one the only a few used in the class and helped give the piece what I wanted.

The final product was put on a white mat to finish the photo and was not put on the sides to help the claws give the full emotion and message.

No comments:

Post a Comment